|2012 AGPC convention registration form
Our 28th Year!
AUCTION • GAME PLAYING • SPEAKERS • WORKSHOP • GAME & PUZZLE SALES • SHOW & TELL • PUZZLE SOLVING • AWARDS
2012 Convention ♦ Saratoga Springs, New York
April 20-22, 2012
Join us at the 28th annual AGPC Convention, being held in Saratoga Springs, New York, from April 20 to 22, 2012. Saratoga Springs is the birthplace of potato chips and Saratoga Spring water. The Saratoga Springs region’s activities vary from historical sites, museums, shopping, antiquing, and restaurants. Its location is close to the Adirondacks and Albany, our state capitol, and is known for:
- Health due to the Spa Resorts and spring mineral water,
- History for the 1777 Battle of Saratoga, and
- Horses for the Saratoga Race Course & Harness Track.
Saratoga Springs, located in Upstate New York, provides access to additional state as well as western Vermont and western Massachusetts activities. In addition, New York City is 185 miles south.
We look forward to seeing you at the 2012 Saratoga Springs Convention!
- Friday, April 20th—Dinner with guest speaker Tom Shieber, Senior Curator, National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, who will be talking about baseball board games from the museum’s collection.
- Saturday, April 21st—Breakfast, General Meeting, Convention Presentation & Workshops, Member Sales, and AGPC Auction (lunch on your own). Reception and dinner with guest speaker, Will Shortz, New York Times Puzzle Editor, who will be the recipient of the AGPC 2012 Sam Loyd Award. Will will talk about collecting puzzles, puzzle books, and puzzle ephemera, and if there’s time, will conduct audience-participation word games.
- Sunday, April 22nd —Breakfast, Convention Group Photo and Wrap-Up.
The Saturday morning presenters will be:
- Nicolas Ricketts, Curator, Strong National Museum of Play, who will give a presentation on All-Fair board games
- Jim Follette, who will talk about mechanical puzzle design, manufacture, and publication
- Chris McCann, who will inform us about how artists were kept busy during the “Jigsaw Puzzle Panic” of 1932-33 and beyond
The convention theme will represent the Saratoga Springs spirit of Health, History, and Horses. Therefore, plan to bring items for Friday night Show & Tell, and to share and play with others.
Will Shortz will be the recipient of the 2012 AGPC Sam Loyd Award.
We are finalizing arrangements for pre-convention activities. As soon as they are confirmed we will update the convention registration packet and directly contact anyone who has already registered for the convention.
The pre-convention activities being considered for Thursday, April 19th and Friday, April 20th are:
- Tour the Baseball Hall of Fame, individual activities, and/or shopping in Cooperstown (travel by bus).
- Tour the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame located in Saratoga Springs, and Saratoga National Battlefield.
- Tour various Saratoga Springs sites in the morning with open time in the afternoon to experience Saratoga Springs.
A game and puzzle room will be available in the evenings from 8:00pm to 1:00am.
The convention will take place at the Gideon Putnam Resort, located just outside of downtown Saratoga Springs. The resort offers an 18-hole championship golf course and a 9-hole executive golf course, 8 tennis courts and serene walking and bike trails throughout the 2,200 acre Saratoga Spa State Park. And the renowned Roosevelt Spa is open year round for mineral baths, massages, and a variety of spa treatments. (It is strongly encouraged that you make reservations for Resort activities early, by contacting the Resort directly for availability and bookings. Gideon Putnam Resort reserves the right to change activities and schedule.)
Images courtesy of The Gideon Putnam Resort
Standard rooms are available at $149 plus tax per night and Suites are available at $209 plus tax per night. To make your reservations, call the Resort directly at (866) 746-1077 toll-free. You must refer to
Group Code: 9N29SS
to receive the AGPC Convention rate.
Early Bird Registration Fee is $195 per person if postmarked on or before March 14, 2012.
Registration after March 14, 2012, will be $225 per person.
Register Early and Win a Suite Upgrade!
For your convenience a link to the 2012 Registration Form is provided below. Take advantage of the Early Bird Reduced Registration Fee and register before March 14, 2012. All Early Bird Registrations will be entered for a chance to win a complimentary upgrade to a suite room at the Gideon Putnam Resort! Registration forms along with payment should be mailed to The KelJoy Group, PO Box 3592, Durham, NC 27702-3592.
|2012 AGPC convention registration form
Getting to Saratoga Springs
The Saratoga Convention and Visitors Bureau has put a special web page together for our guests. Please visit http://discoversaratoga.org/conferences/agpc for information on transportation, dining, tours, schedule of local events and area activities. Albany International Airport is conveniently located 27 miles from Saratoga Springs. Saratoga Springs is approximately a 3½ hour drive from both New York City and Boston. Bus and train transportation is also available into downtown Saratoga Springs. (The Gideon Putnam offers airport transportation for a fee. It is suggested you make reservations at least one week in advance. The Resort also has a free shuttle service to take you into downtown Saratoga Springs. Contact the Resort for details.)
In addition to the Saratoga Convention and Visitors Bureau web page, additional New York and adjacent states sites are:
- New York State tourism information at http://www.iloveny.com/
- Vermont and Massachusetts state tourism information at http://vermontvacation.com/ and http://www.massvacation.com
If you have any questions or need additional information (antiquing, etc.), please contact Ron & Grace Dechant at email@example.com.
Ellie & Dick Moody and Grace & Ron Dechant, convention hosts